How does the claim process work?

If your name or the name of a deceased family member is listed, and you are the administrator of the descendants estate, or business is listed on the List of Unclaimed Money (PDF) and you would like to make a claim for what you believe is money held by the Riverside County Sheriff’s Office, download the Unclaimed Money Form (PDF).

Fill out the form, print it, sign it, then attach the required documentation and mail it to:

Riverside County Sheriff

ATTN: Accounting & Finance - Unclaimed Money P.O. BOX 512


Once your package is received with all the required documentation, it will be reviewed. Please do not inquire on the status of your claim unless it has been over 60 days from the date you mailed your package. Such calls will only delay disbursements.

Show All Answers

1. How do I find out if I have unclaimed money?
2. Is there a time limit for claiming my property?
3. How do I submit a claim?
4. How does the claim process work?
5. What is a property identification number?
6. Does the Sheriff's listing of unclaimed money include real estate property?
7. What if I have additional questions?
8. What can I do if my claim is rejected?
9. Once approved, how long will it take to receive the money?
10. Can my funds be electronically transferred to my current bank account?
11. If I have had a name change, what kind of documents will be accepted as proof to claim property associated with my former name?
12. Can I submit a claim online?
13. What type of documentation must I submit with my claim?
14. Do I need to submit a separate claim form for each item I want to claim?
15. Where do I send my claim form?
16. Will I be notified of my claim's status?