Who can get a copy of a report?

Copies of Crime/Accident Reports are released in accordance with Section 6254 of the California Government Code. These reports are considered to be confidential and are generally releasable to “interested parties” (as defined by applicable State codes) or court order.

You can request a copy of a report from the Sheriff’s station that wrote the report, or responded to the incident. If within 14 days of the incident, please contact the handling station to confirm the report is available.

You may also request a copy of a report via mail or by contacting the Information Services Bureau.

A valid, government issued photo identification card (i.e., driver’s license, passport, military id) must be presented if request is submitted in person, or a copy of the ID must be enclosed if the request is submitted by mail.

Fees, if applicable, must be paid before copies of the reports are released.

Show All Answers

1. How do I find my law enforcement agency?
2. What do I do about loud music, noise or barking dogs?
3. My car was stolen, who do I call?
4. People are riding off-road vehicles on private property without permission. Who do I call?
5. What should I do if I see a stray dog?
6. What are the operating hours for the Sheriff's Station's front counters?
7. Can I talk to an officer or detective at the front counter?
8. Can I make a report over the phone?
9. Can I make a report using my computer?
10. How do I file a commendation or complaint against the Sheriff's Office?
11. Who can get a copy of a report?
12. Does the Sheriff's Office provide fingerprinting services to the public?
13. My vehicle was towed, how do I find out where it is and how to get it back?
14. Can I pay for a parking ticket online?
15. Is there a charge to have a Sheriff's Deputy appear as a witness in a court?
16. What do I do if I want to evict somebody from a rental property?