Reporting Deputy: Sergeant Joey Sinz
File # N/A
Share the Road and Look Out for One Another During Bicycle Safety Month
Temecula, Calif. –May is National Bicycle Safety Month and The Riverside County Sheriff’s Office – Southwest Station is encouraging more people to get active and safely take bike rides.
“Bicycling is a great means of transportation and recreation, and everyone deserves to ride to their destination safely,” Deputy Opice said. “Let’s look out for one another and share the road, share the responsibility.”
To help keep people biking or walking safe, the Southwest Station will conduct a traffic safety operation throughout the month focused on driver behaviors that put bicyclists and pedestrians at risk, such as speeding, making illegal turns, failure to yield right of way, and stop sign/red light running. The Riverside County Sheriff’s Office suggests the following safety tips for bicyclists and drivers:
- Slow down and follow the speed limit. Be careful traveling through intersections.
- Look carefully for bicyclists and pedestrians before making a turn or opening a car door near streets or bike paths.
- Be patient when traveling behind a bicyclist and give them space when passing. California law requires drivers to change a lane, when possible, to pass bicyclists.
- Never drive distracted or impaired.
- Use lights at night.
- Although not required for riders 18 and older, always wear a properly secured helmet. Helmets significantly reduce the chance of a head injury in the event of a crash.
- Bicyclists must travel in the same direction of traffic and have the same requirements as any slow-moving vehicle.
- Yield to pedestrians, just as a driver would. Pedestrians have the right-of-way within marked or unmarked crosswalks at intersections.
Funding for this program is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
For media inquiries regarding this incident please contact the Media Information Bureau.
If you are interested in a career with us, please apply at joinrsd.org or call 1-888-Join-RSD