RIVERSIDE COUNTY SHERIFF’S DEPARTMENT
Sheriff Chad Bianco
|Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety Operation
|July 20, 2021
|July 26, 2021
|6:00 AM - 2:00 PM
|Undisclosed Locations in Palm Desert
|Deputy Varon Potter
Palm Desert, Calif. – Riverside County Sheriff’s department will conduct a bicycle and pedestrian safety operation July 26, 2021 from 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. aimed at keeping people out exercising or enjoying the outdoors safe.
The Riverside County Sheriff’s department recognizes the need to protect the public by looking for violations made by bicyclists, drivers and pedestrians that make roads unsafe.
These violations include drivers speeding, making illegal turns, failing to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks, failing to stop for signs and signals or any other traffic violation by bike riders or pedestrians.
The safety of bicyclists and pedestrians remains a top priority for the Riverside County Sheriff’s department. So far this year, the Riverside County Sheriff’s department has investigated 12 injury collisions involving bicyclists and pedestrians.
To keep you and your family safe, the Riverside County Sheriff’s department offers the following tips when out biking, driving or walking:
- Only cross at marked crosswalks or intersections with a stop sign or signal.
- Look for cars backing up. Avoid going between parked cars.
- Make eye contact with drivers. Don’t assume they see you.
- Wear bright clothing during the day and use a flashlight when walking at night.
- Wait for pedestrians to cross the street. Be courteous and patient.
- Stay off the phone.
- No speeding. Speed limits are not suggestions.
- Look for pedestrians when backing up, turning at intersections or entering/exiting shopping centers.
- Always wear a helmet. Helmets are required by law for anyone under 18.
- Bicyclists must travel in the same direction of traffic and have the same requirements as any slow moving vehicle.
For media inquiries regarding this incident please contact the Media Information Bureau.