RIVERSIDE COUNTY SHERIFF’S DEPARTMENT
Sheriff Chad Bianco
|Press Release:||Bicycle Safety Awareness Month|
|Station Area:||City of Temecula and Southwest County Areas|
|Written Date:||May 6, 2020||Time:||5:30 PM|
|Incident Date:||Month of May||Time:||N/A|
|Incident Location:||City of Temecula and Southwest County Areas|
|Reporting Officer:||Sergeant Ramie Wood|
BICYCLE SAFETY AWARENESS MONTH IN MAY
The Southwest Sheriff’s Station encourages everyone to “go safely” during National Bicycle Safety Month
Temecula, Calif. — While shelter-in-place orders are in effect, we understand many residents need to run errands or go outside to exercise.
May is Bicycle Safety Month and the Southwest Sheriff’s Station is encouraging those out walking, driving or riding their bikes to look out for one another while practicing social distancing measures.
“Biking is a great way to get fresh air and exercise, but keep in mind others are staying at home too and have the same idea,” Sergeant Raemie Wood said. “It’s important to keep you and your family safe by remaining aware of your surroundings even though there’s less vehicular traffic.”
- Always wear a helmet and never ride impaired.
- Follow social distancing measures and maintain at least six feet of physical space between other riders and those out walking.
- Be seen: wear brightly colored clothing and have bike lights handy (front white light and rear red flashing light or reflectors)
- Use hand signals when turning or stopping.
- Rules of the road still apply: Bicyclists must travel in the same direction of traffic and have the same requirements as any slow moving vehicle.
- Keep outside trips to a minimum; they should only be to get essential items or exercise.
Funding for this program is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
The Riverside County Sheriff’s Department is seeking applicants for Deputy Sheriff, Deputy Sheriff Trainee, Correctional Deputy, Sheriff’s 911 Communications Officer, and other employment opportunities such as clerical and support positions. If you are interested in a career with us, please visit our recruiting page or call 1-888-Join-RSD