Lateral / Pre-Service
If you have an active California Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Certification or can obtain a California POST Waiver for regular basic academy training you’ve received from another state we can expedite the hiring process.
Correctional laterals are also accepted upon review of certification.
Lateral or Pre-Service applicants are encouraged to contact Sgt. Jessica Hall at 951-486-2869 or email@example.com if they have questions concerning their qualifications.
A lateral candidate is an individual who has worked as a sworn peace officer for a California law enforcement agency, has passed their probationary period, and has obtained his/her California Basic POST Certificate.
A pre-service candidate is an individual who has successfully graduated from a California POST-certified academy and holds an active California POST certification or has separated from a position as a California sworn peace officer.
Pre-service candidates who have obtained their California POST certification, or separated from a sworn position in California within the last year, are not required to take the Physical Agility Test (PAT) or written examination with the Department.
Out of State
Out-of-state candidates who have obtained a basic academy certification from another state can contact California POST and apply for a POST waiver letter. The Sheriff’s Department will accept that as valid certification to qualify as a pre-service candidate. We do not accept POST (or equivalent) certifications from other states.
Salary & Benefits
In addition to exciting and challenging career opportunities with the Sheriff’s Department, the County of Riverside participates in the Public Employee Retirement System (PERS) and offers an excellent retirement program. Some benefits include:
- Advanced Certification: Intermediate and Advanced levels of POST certification also qualify for additional compensation.
- Bilingual Skills: We offer additional compensation in assignments that require you to use your bilingual skills.
- Education/Degree: A 2.5% premium pay benefit for completion of a Bachelor’s degree and an additional 2.5% premium pay benefit for completion of a Master’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: A flex benefit is provided in the amount of $712 monthly.
How It Works
- The hiring process begins online when you select the Deputy Sheriff career path and create an online profile.
- Complete our online pre-screen questionnaire.
- Complete a background investigation packet. It’s a detailed history of your life, and we conduct an extensive background check based on your statements.
- Attend your background interview.
- You take a polygraph examination.
- You take a psychological examination.
- You take a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening.
- Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of all these steps.
Minimum Requirements for Lateral and Pre-Service
- 21 years of age
- POST Certified
- U.S. citizen
- U.S. high school diploma or G.E.D, or equivalent
- Valid California Driver License
- Conviction of misdemeanor domestic violence
- Currently on probation
- DUI violations within the last 3 years
- Felony convictions
- Lying or withholding any information