Lateral / Pre-Service
We are currently recruiting Correctional Deputy and Deputy Sheriff - Lateral and Pre-Service candidates to be assigned throughout Riverside County.
Eligible applicants for Correctional Deputy must possess a valid California Standards and Training for Corrections (STC) - Adult Corrections Officer Core Course Certification.
Correctional Deputy Lateral: A Lateral candidate is an individual who is currently working in a California adult correctional facility as a correctional deputy or equivalent, has passed their probationary period, and has obtained their California STC - Adult Corrections Officer Core Course Certification.
Correctional Deputy Pre-Service: A Pre-Service candidate is an individual who holds a California STC - Adult Corrections Officer Core Course Certification and is currently not working in a law enforcement agency.
*We are currently not accepting California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation applicants as Pre-Service/Lateral candidates.
Eligible applicants for Deputy Sheriff must possess a valid California Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Certification or a California POST Waiver received from another state.
Deputy Sheriff Lateral: A Lateral candidate is an individual who is currently working as a sworn peace officer for a California law enforcement agency, has passed their probationary period, and has obtained his/her California Basic POST Certificate.
Deputy Sheriff Pre-Service: A Pre-Service candidate is an individual who has successfully graduated from a California POST-certified academy, holds an active California POST certification, and is not currently working as a California sworn peace officer.
Deputy Sheriff - Out of State: Out-of-state candidates who have obtained a basic academy certification from another state can contact California POST and apply for a POST waiver letter. The Sheriff’s Office will accept that as valid certification to qualify as a pre-service candidate. We do not accept POST (or equivalent) certifications from other states.
Salary & Benefits
In addition to exciting and challenging career opportunities with the Sheriff’s Office, the County of Riverside participates in the Public Employee Retirement System (PERS) and offers an excellent retirement program. Some benefits include:
- Advanced Certification: Intermediate and Advanced levels of POST certification also qualify for additional compensation.
- Bilingual Skills: We offer additional compensation in assignments that require you to use your bilingual skills.
- Education/Degree: A 2.5% premium pay benefit for completion of a Bachelor’s degree and an additional 2.5% premium pay benefit for completion of a Master’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: A flex benefit is provided in the amount of $712 monthly.
How It Works
The application and selection process consists of the following steps:
- Online Application via Government Jobs
- Pre-Background Questionnaire
- Background Application via eSOPH
- Extensive Background Investigation, including interview
- Polygraph Examination
- Pre-Employment Psychological Assessment
- Medical Exam, including a pre-employment drug & alcohol screening (refusal to submit to testing or positive results for drugs, alcohol, or unexplained legal prescription drugs is an automatic disqualification).
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of all the steps listed above.
Minimum Requirements for Lateral and Pre-Service
- U.S. High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Valid California Driver’s License
- Respective Certification
- Correctional Deputy: CA STC - Adult Corrections Officer Core Course Certification
- Deputy Sheriff: CA POST Certification
*For additional information regarding the job description and minimum requirements, please visit the job post
- Conviction of misdemeanor domestic violence
- Currently on probation
- DUI violations within the last 3 years
- Felony convictions
- Lying or withholding any information
For questions concerning Laterals or Pre-Service qualifications, please email email@example.com.