Reserve Deputy Sheriff
Instructions on how to fulfill these requirements prior to the first day of the Academy will be given at the Orientation.
- Minimum age to enter the academy is 18
- All students are required to complete the Modular Academy Orientation
- Must possess a valid California drivers license
- Medical Clearance
- Fingerprinted through the Department of Justice for firearms clearance
- Be free of any felony convictions or legal mandates that restrict or prohibit employment as a law enforcement officer or possession of a firearm
- Participants should be in good physical condition
- Passing grade for each module to advance to the next module
Academy Orientations are held at the Ben Clark Public Safety Training Center. Module III orientations are on a weekday during the evening. Attendance at the orientation is mandatory for all students. If for some reason you are unable to attend the orientation, contact the staff to let them know and other arrangements can be made.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the age, height, and weight requirements to enter the Academy?
The only absolute requirement is that recruits be a minimum of 18 years old. There is no maximum age. Many recruits in their mid-50s have successfully completed the program. There are no height and weight requirements; however it would be to your benefit if your weight was in proportion to your height.
Do I receive college credit for completion of the Academy?
Yes, each module is listed as a course in the Riverside Community College catalog and each course counts for a specific number of units of college credit.
Is the Academy recognized by out-of-area law enforcement agencies?
Yes, a POST certificate is recognized throughout the state of California. Each academy curriculum exceeds California POST standards for officer training.
When are the fees required for the Academy?
Registration fees for each individual module will be collected on the first day of class.
- For additional information please contact the Riverside Community College Ben Clark Training Center representative at 951-486-3240