||Bicycle Safety Enforcement Operation
||February 8, 2018
||February 8, 2018
||Scholar Way X Citrus Street, Eastvale
||Sergeant Brian Gutierrez
On Thursday, February 8, 2018, deputies from the Eastvale Traffic Team and Eastvale Special Enforcement Team, in cooperation with Corona Norco Unified School District, conducted a Bicycle Safety Enforcement Operation from the hours of 07:00 AM – 10:00 AM. The goal of the operation was to identify juveniles riding bicycles and skateboards without helmets or violating any other vehicle code laws. During this operation deputies contacted juveniles in violation of bicycle safety laws and gave them an informational pamphlet informing them about bicycle safety.
The operation was conducted on Scholar Way between Orange Street and Citrus Street. Juveniles attending Eastvale Elementary School, River Heights Middle School and Eleanor Roosevelt High School were contacted during this enforcement operation. Deputies were also on school grounds in the bicycle rack areas. Students seen arriving to the bicycle racks following bicycle safety rules were rewarded with a coupon for a free scoop of ice cream at Baskin Robbins, located at 7056 Archibald Street, Suite #111, in Eastvale. These coupons were donated by James Chiang, the owner of this Baskin Robbins location to help promote bicycle safety.
Bicycle Safety Enforcement Operation Results:
- 106 juveniles were issued warnings and were given a pamphlet for being in violation of not wearing a helmet.
- 107 juveniles received a coupon voucher for a free scoop of ice cream from Baskin Robbins for being in compliance of the bicycle helmet law.
- 5 adults were cited in total for the following traffic law violations:
- 3 were cited for violation of being on their cellular phone while driving with one of the three also being cited for not having their juvenile seated with a seat belt.
- 1 was cited for failing to obey a traffic control sign.
- 1 was cited for failing to stop for the crossing guard at a crosswalk.
Although during this operation the 106 juveniles received a warning with an informational safety pamphlet, in the future juveniles could receive a citation to appear in traffic court with their parent for being in violation of 21212 (a) C.V.C. (Helmet required for under the age of 18yrs).
The Eastvale Traffic Team will continue these types of bicycle safety operations throughout the city of Eastvale in the near future. The Bicycle Safety pamphlet will soon be available to be viewed on the City of Eastvale website at www.eastvaleca.gov. Anyone with any questions about this operation can contact Sergeant Gutierrez at the Jurupa Valley Station, 951-955-2600.
Persons who wish to report criminal activity and wish to remain anonymous can call crime stoppers at 800-78-CRIME (800-782-7463) or 800-47-DRUGS (800-473-7847). You can also leave anonymous information at www.riversidesheriff.org/tipline or www.wetip.com.