Riverside Sheriff Unclaimed Money

Frequently Asked Questions About Unclaimed Money

Q. How do I find out if I have unclaimed money?
A. Click on Search the Database above, enter your name or business name in the field provided and click search.
Q. Is there a time limit for claiming my property?
A. Yes, there is a time limit for filing a claim. Those amounts with an "A" type may be claimed through the process outlined in this website until the end of the statutory three-year holding period. Those properties with a "D" type are past the statutory three-year holding period and must be claimed within the prescribed filing deadline that is displayed on the claim form. 
Q. How do I submit a claim?
A. Unclaimed money forms can be printed from our website by clicking on the name of the property you're interested in claiming, or, you may obtain one from the Riverside County Sheriff's Office located at 4095 Lemon Street, 3rd Floor, Riverside, CA 92501. Our office hours are 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Thursday, and 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM on Friday. Our phone number is (951) 955-0951.
Q. How does the claim process work?
A. The filing instructions found on our website describe how to complete the unclaimed money form. These filing instructions list documentation that you must provide when filing your claim. All claim types have general required documentation, such as:

Copy of a current government-issued photo identification (e.g., driver's license, state identification card, passport, etc) for each claimant
Specific documentation proving your ownership (e.g., copy of inmate release, copy of court judgment, etc.)
Q. What is a property identification number?
A. Every unclaimed property item has an identification number assigned by our office at the time the account is placed into our database. The property identification number is identified in the Property ID column. You will need this number whenever you contact us regarding your claim. Our office recommends that each claimant keep this number until the claim has been processed.
Q. What do the letters in the Type column mean?
A.Items with an "A" in the Type column may be claimed through the process outlined in this website until the end of the statutory three-year holding period. At the end of the period, the Type will be changed to a "D", designating the claim deadline.
  Items with a "D" in the Type column indicate they are claimable, only within the prescribed filing period. The deadline to turn in claims for these items is indicated on the claim form. These items have remained on deposit with the Riverside Sheriff's Department for a period exceeding three years. Pursuant to provisions of Section 50050 of the California Government Code, notice is hereby given that these unclaimed monies will become the sole and final property of the County of Riverside on the filing deadline indicated unless a valid and acceptable claim is filed on or before that date with the Sheriff.
  Items with a "P" in the Type column indicate a pending status. Claims have been received and are being evaluated and processed.
Q. Can my funds be electronically transferred to my current bank account?
A. No, the Sheriff cannot transfer your unclaimed property funds to your current bank account.
Q. If I have had a name change, what kind of documents will be accepted as proof to claim property associated with my former name?
A. You will need to establish that you are the person whose name appears on the account. Examples of documents that can be used to prove your former name are listed below:

Marriage certificate
Divorce decree
Court document identifying the name change
Citizenship documents
Adoption papers
Amended birth certificate
Social Security Card
Driver's license
Q. Can I submit a claim online?
A. No, claims must either be submitted by mail or can be dropped off at the counter of the Sheriff's office located at 4095 Lemon Street, 3rd floor in Riverside, CA 92501. Our office hours are 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Thursday and 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM Friday. Our phone number is (951) 955-0951.
Q. What type of documentation must I submit with my claim?
A. You must submit a copy of a current government-issued photo identification along with any other documentation that will support your claim. If you are submitting a claim on behalf of a business, please include a business card and a notarized affidavit. Please click the Filing Instructions tab above for additional documentation that may be requested depending on the situation.
Q. Do I need to submit a separate claim form for each item I want to claim?
A. Yes, each unclaimed money form is specific to a unique Property ID.
Q. Where do I send my claim form?
A. Riverside County Sheriff
Attn: Accounting & Finance - Unclaimed Money
P.O. Box 512
Riverside, CA 92502
(951) 955-0951
Q. Will I be notified of my claim's status?
A.Once your package is received with all the required documentation, it will be reviewed. If the documentation is not adequate to prove your ownership, our office will send you a letter stating why the claim is incomplete. All submitted documents will be returned at this time. Please do not inquire on the status of your claim unless it has been over 60 days from the date you mailed your package.
Q. Once approved, how long will it take to receive the money?
A. All claims will be reviewed and processed within 60 days from receipt of a completed claim package. Claims will be evaluated for validity and approved or rejected by the Sheriff's Accounting and Finance Unit. Once approved, it may take six to eight weeks to receive a county warrant reimbursement.
Q. What can I do if my claim is rejected?
A.If rejected, the party who submitted the claim may file a verified complaint seeking to recover all, or a designated part, of the money in a court of competent jurisdiction within the County of Riverside. A copy of the complaint and summons issued thereon must be served to the Sheriff within thirty days of the notice of rejection. The Sheriff shall then withhold the release of the portion of unclaimed money for which the court action has been filed, pending final decision of the court.
Q. Does the Sheriff's unclaimed money database include real estate property?
A.No, it does not include real estate property. This includes unclaimed estate property from the Sheriff's Public Administrator's Bureau.
Q. What if I have additional questions?
A. You may direct all inquiries to our email address: UnclaimedMoney@RiversideSheriff.org and reference the Property ID number.